I aim for this blog to be a place where I can share my experiences of
infertility and IVF. I will share with others my journey, and hopefully in turn
offer support and insight to others.

Friday 26 March 2010

Appointment with the Gynaecologist.

The day arrived for my appointment with the Gynaecologist. I was so nervous. Not because of what they might say - but of the fact that I was fifteen, had never had any sort of sexual experience, and was going to see a male doctor who I knew in all possibilty would want to do a private examination. Actually, I don't think nervous even comes close.

Some of my fears were eased when I met the doctor - he reminded me of David Attenborough (the wildlife expert), not sure now why that should have put my mind at rest - but it did. Maybe it gave me something else to focus on.

The Dr did his examination - and then sat me down, and proceeded to hand me some leaflets on Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. He told me that obviously I ws already aware that that was what I had and he wanted to explain the treatement options. Aware!? I most certainly wasn't. I think my jaw and my mum's must have hit the floor at the same time. What was he talking about? I think the Dr saw the confused look on our face and asked me in quite a calm manner "didn't you know". Apparently, the ultrasound scan that I had had a few weeks before had clearly shown that my ovaries were covered in small cysts - and the blood tests that they had done confirmed that not only did I have polycystic ovaries but also the syndrome (they can tell this form the hormone balance).

I think at the time, I didn't truly realise the enormity of what he was saying, but my Mum certainly did, and that night I heard her crying on the phone to my Aunt and Grandma.

The Dr told me that it was unlikely I would ever have a period, and that I would continue to get the pain, which was being caused by the small cysts forming each month. I was going to have to go on the pill so that I had a 'bleed' each month, otherwise I could develop further problems with the lining of my womb.

My mum explained to the Dr that she had had a thrombosis caused through a reaction to taking the pill, and therefore she was a bit worried about me taking it. The Dr said he would send me for more tests to check for blood clotting problems.

He also explained that as a result of having the poslycystic ovaries and complete amenorrhea (no periods) that I would be in contact with the gynaecology service for a long time to come, as if I ever wanted to start a family, I would need some help.

So all in the space of half an hour I had gone from believing my period would start any moment - to finding out that not only would I never have a period, but that I had to go on the pill and would never me able to conceive a baby naturally.

Well cheers Doc you know how to make a girl feel good about herself! Cue the tears......

No comments:

Post a Comment